Join me on this very small group workshop (only 6 guests), and photograph the beauty of the Italian Dolomites! You’ll be expertly guided by me to both iconic and off-the-beaten track locations. Expect to shoot from sunrise to sunset, and even in the night! Everything’s included, so just pack up your gear and get ready for an amazing photography adventure.
- Seven Days Landscape Photography Workshop with Paolo De Faveri -
The Dolomites, Italy - September 8th - 14th, 2019
• Full time in the field guidance and instructions from a professional landscape and travel photographer with more than ten years of experience in international photography tours and workshops.
• An All-Inclusive treatment: hotel rooms and all meals are included in the price.
• A small group size ensuring the necessary tutor’s attention for each guest;
• Cable-car's excursions in some of the most scenographic areas of the Dolomites
• Public transportation granted for the length of the tour, for your best comfort and maximum flexibility
• A balanced itinerary where you will photograph stunning landscapes in untouched areas, visit beautiful towns built in the typical alpine style, and have a chance to taste the exquisite local cuisine and wines
• At least one image processing session, where we will analyze in details basic and advanced techniques of post-processing
• Inspiration, fun and a great time!
Need to Know
September 8th - 14th, 2019
Double Occupancy lodging (single available, just ask)
3'490 EUR double room, 400 EUR single room supplement
Medium, a few hikes with moderate elevation gain
Required: DSLR or mirrorless camera, 28-120 mm zoom lens, tripod
Open to any photographer interested in landscape and travel photography, whether a beginner or a pro
Limited to maximum 6 guests
• In the field full time tutoring and instructions
• 6 overnights in hotel, with continental breakfast included. Double room occupancy, single available with a supplement.
• All meals and soft drinks for 6 days (lunch and dinner)
• 7 days transportation with mini-van
• at least 1 image processing session (a laptop with photo processing software is required)
What's Not Included
• international air travel tickets
• cancellation and travel insurance
• Venice local tourists tax (approx 4,50 EUR/night pax)
• tickets to cable cars
• Everything not specifically listed as included
A deposit of 35% of the total amount will be required to hold your space in this workshop. The balance will be due not later than 4 weeks before the start of the tour. You will be provided by email with instructions on how to make the payments.
This workshop is strictly limited to 6 guests, so don't delay. If you've been thinking about a photo workshop in the Dolomites then click the button below, fill the form with all the information required and any other information you wish to communicate. You will be contacted back right away with the instructions on how to pay the deposit and make a reservation.
Day 1, September 8th, 2019 - Airport of Treviso, Passo Rolle
Plan your flight in order to arrive in Treviso not later than 1:00pm.
Afternoon: Meet up at 2 pm with the group at the International Airport of Treviso “ Antonio Canova” (TSF).
Day 2, September 9th, 2019 - Passo Rolle, Val Venegia, Lake Carezza
Sunrise: Wake up about 1 hour before sunrise and with a walk on an easy trail with a moderate elevation gain we will reach the refuge known Baita Segantini, a mountain hut placed on the shore of a small lake. This is the best location for photographing the Pale di San Martino group either at sunrise or sunset.
Rest of the day: We will shoot in the area surrounding Passo Rolle for the rest of the day, waiting for the sunset in Val Venegia, a wonderful, enchanted valley just below the pass.
Evening: After sunset, we will get back to the cars and drive to Carezza, where we will have dinner and spend the night at one of the hotels nearby the namesake lake.
Day 3, September 10th, 2019 - Lake Carezza, Sella Group, Funes Valley
Sunrise shoot at Carezza lake. The Lake of Carezza is a small alpine lake completely surrounded by a wonderful forest of pines and larches, and it's one of the best locations for photographing the Latemar and Catenaccio groups at sunrise or sunset. We will then get back to the hotel for breakfast.
Morning: After breakfast, we will take the car and drive in the Fassa valley up to Canazei and from there up to the Sella pass, one of the most important passes of the Dolomites, linking the Fassa Valley to the Gardena Valley. Along the road that climbs up to the pass with sharp hairpin turns, there are many wonderful view points on some of the most famous groups of the Dolomites, such as the Marmolada, the Sella Towers, Sasso Lungoand Sasso Piatto group, Odle range, among many others.
Sunset: Be prepared for this night to have a early dinner, as in Funes Valley there are just a handful of restaurants and they usually stop to serve dinner at around 8:30 pm.
Day 4, September 11th, 2019 - Falzarego Pass, Lagazuoi and Tofane, Lake Misurina, Lake Antorno and Tre Cime di Lavaredo
Morning and afternoon: After breakfast at our hotel in Cortina, we will take the car at around 9am and drive up to Falzarego Pass, a high altitude road pass linking Cortina d'Ampezzo to the Badia Valley. We will spend a couple of hours photographing in this beautiful area and then, after a quick lunch at the bar at the pass, we will take the cable car up to the 2800+ mts of altitude of Mount Lagazuoi. This is an amazing location from where it is possible to view and photograph the whole range of mountains from Lagazuoi to Tofane, and also visit the Austro-Hungarian fortified trenches of World War I.
Sunset shoot: we will get back to the car at around 4:30, heading to Lake Misurina and then Lake Antorno, two small alpine lakes surrounded by a beautiful evergreen forest, where we will photograph wonderful peaks reflected in the water. Among these mountains there are the Tre Cime di Lavaredo(Drei Zinnen), probably the most famous massif of the whole Dolomites, that we will depict while shining in the pink light of the setting sun, and reflected in the calm waters of lake Antorno.
Day 5, September 12th, 2019 - Lake Landro and Mount Cristallo, Rifugio Auronzo and Tre Cime di Lavaredo
Sunrise: We will wake at around 5:30am, and will drive to Landro Lake. Lake Landro is a small lake in the Alta Pusteria valley, and it's the best location for photographing the Cristallo group at sunrise.
Morning: After the sunrise shoot, we will get back to the hotel for breakfast.
Rest of the day: After breakfast, we will drive up to the Rifugio Auronzo, a mountain hut at 2300 mts of altitude, lying in the prairies at the foot of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo Group. From the prairies surrounding the rifugio it is possible to enjoy a 180° unobstructed view on some of the most beautiful massifs of the Ampezzo Dolomites, such as Cadini di Misurina, Cristallo, Mount Piana, Croda Rossa d'Ampezzo. We will shoot from this location for the rest of the morning and then, after a picnic with our packed lunch, we will head to the Rifugio Locatelli, reachable with an easy trek of about 4 kms and 150 mts of elevation gain (2,5 miles and 500 ft.). We will spend the rest of the day photographing the Tre Cime di Lavaredo from this very iconic location.
Day 6, September 13th, 2019 - Giau Pass, Selva di Cadore and Mount Pelmo, Lake Alleghe, Cinque Torri
Sunrise: We will wake up 1 hour before sunrise, and head by car to Giau Pass, a high altitude pass linking Cortina d'Ampezzo to Selva di Cadore, where we will have our sunrise shoot. From this pass the sight is completely unobstructed and we will able to frame some of the most famous mountains of the Dolomites, such as Ra Gusela, Tofana di Rozes, Lastoi da Formin, Conturines, Marmolada, and many others.
Morning: After the sunrise shoot, we will get back to the hotel for breakfast.
Rest of the day: After breakfast, we will drive up to Giau Pass again, and from there we will head down to the small, pictoresque town of Selva di Cadore, the perfect location for photographing the Mount Pelmo, another amazing peak of the Dolomites, and also for framing some beautiful tyrolean style’s buildings.
After a quick lunch at some bar/restaurant at Selva di Cadore, we will drive to Alleghe, another small town that lies by the shore of a beautiful lake just at the foot of one of the most impressive massif of the Dolomites, the Mount Civetta.
Sunset shoot: we will leave Alleghe at around 4:30, and we’ll drive up to the Rifugio Scoiattoli, a mountain hut placed at the feet of the Cinque Torri group. We will spend approximately two hours for visiting and photographing the trenches and the other vestiges of the World War I, dug in the rock in 1915 by the Italian troops all over this area, and then we will shoot the sun setting behind the Antelao and Lastoi de Formin groups.
Day 7, September 14th, 2019 - Sunrise at Lake Antorno and Tre Cime, transfer to Treviso Airport
Sunrise (Optional): to end in style, we will wake at around 5:30am and will drive to Lake Antorno for our last sunrise shoot, with the Tre Cime di Lavaredo as our main subject.
Morning: After the sunrise shoot, we will get back to the hotel for breakfast
Rest of the day: After breakfast, we will leave the Dolomites heading to the airport of Treviso, where we will arrive in about 2h:30'.
• Dslr or mirrorless camera
• Enough storage cards for at least 32 GB
• A zoom lens covering at least the 28/120 mm range on a full frame sensor, the equivalent on cropped sensors
• Camera user's manual
Recommended additional/optional items
• A very sturdy tripod with panoramic head
• Wide angle to normal zoom lens, at least 24/70 mm on a full frame sensor, the equivalent on cropped sensors. Ideally one 16/35 mm and a 28/70 mm
• Long tele zoom lens - 70/200mm is enough, 300mm is recommended
• Enough storage cards for at least 64 GB
• Extra Camera batteries
• Photography backpacks come in handy to protect the equipment if it rains and to facilitate transfers from a shooting location to another
• polarizer filter
• a set of Graduated ND filters, at least a 2 and a 3 stops (it is ideal to have all the range from 1 to 4 stops)
• ND filters for long exposures, ideally one 10 stops and one 6 stop
• remote (or cable) switch
• for the image processing session, a laptop with Photoshop CS3 or newer and Lightroom 3.x or newer
Clothes and Accessories
Weather in an Alpine environment is unpredictable by definition. We can literally experience a whole set of different conditions in the same day, ranging from pristine, clear blue skies and mild temperatures down to rain/snow showers and strong and chilly cold winds. Even in summer time.
So a full set of warm clothes is recommended, including but not limited to:
- trekking shoes
- gumboots (optional, but useful in certain situations such as rivers and lakes)
- wind/rain proof jacket
- pile pullovers
- sun glasses
- Head lamps and batteries
f you wish to join the tour, please fill up this form; I’ll be happy to get in touch and inform you how to book your cool photo experience in Venice.
Please use also this form for sending any other information you wish to communicate, and/or for asking questions about the tour, photo gear, particular needs and wishes, etc.
By sending this form you accept our terms and conditions.
This contact form allows me to answer quickly and effectively; if you feel uncomfortable with it, please send an email to: email@example.com
note: your privacy is important to us. Please read carefully our privacy statement.
“Paolo knows the regions very well and will take you to wonderful locations he knows after many years of photographing. He loves to teach others about photography and I would feel comfortable recommending him to the novice or the expert looking to have a great time, learn some new techniques, and come home with some amazing pics to print.”
— Vivek Raval, New York